Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Harvest Monday - Late July and An Apology


Wednesday, July 23rd.  Eggplants could have grown larger but I was impatient to make eggplant parmesan.  It was good.


Friday, July 25th.  First large tomato, a Tasti Lee Hybrid from Burpee.  We ate it on BLC's.  C for cucumber, I didn't have lettuce.


Saturday, July 26th.  Harvest after weeding on Saturday morning.  Here are separate shots of what's in the basket.


Two types of peppers.


Found another type of pepper, the Jimmy Nardello in the basket, so took another photo.
I used the peppers for stuffed peppers.  Even stuffed Cubanelle halves.


Cucumber and 2 small zucchinis.  The first harvest of the latter.


A mess of green beans and tomatoes.  Green ones came off branches I had to trim.

Below some of the green ones became fried green tomatoes.  I have discovered how good these are just this year.  Cornmeal, salt, pepper and a dash of sugar when browned in oil.


Monday, July 28th.  More tomatoes.


Here's the apology to the heron who I though had eaten all the goldfish.  The goldfish are still there.  Dan discovered them in the pond two days after my post about them being missing/eaten.  I don't know where they were hiding but they are still there.


10 comments:

Margaret said...

Those are some lovely eggplant. I must really add them to my list for next year.

Empty Nester said...

Fried green tomatoes are a staple around here. LOL That's a beautiful harvest you've got so far!

Daphne Gould said...

Lovely harvests. Anything fried is good right? I'm thinking zucchini fritters.

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

I love fried green tomatoes! My wife had never tried them until a few years ago, and now she's a fan too.

Unknown said...

Eggplant Parmesan is a favorite in this household. Unfortunately, I did not grow eggplants this year and hope to rely on farmers markets to fulfill our needs. Fried green tomatoes......yum! ~ Rachel @ Grow a Good Life

Stewart M said...

Nice looking crop!

I only managed to spend a few hours with Marie - just after you in fact. And once she had gone I realised that I had not taken any pictures!


Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Fun60 said...

I've never heard of goldfish playing 'hide and seek' before.

Julie said...

Lovely harvests! Your eggplant and tomatoes look delicious. I haven't had fried green tomatoes since I was a kid. I wasn't fond of them then, but I may have to try them again. I'm glad your goldfish are accounted for.

Jennifer said...

Those eggplant look so good and I love Eggplant Parmesan! Great harvest.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad your goldfish are OKAY... I can't imagine where they might have been.... Oh Well--sounds like they are okay... YEAH!

I love seeing your fresh veggies... Fried Green Tomatoes... YUM...

Eggplant Parmesan----YUM...

You have made me hungry!!!

Hugs,
Betsy