Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Garden Makeover

I had a chance to help my daughter with her flower garden last week. She lives in New Hampshire. The weather was a nice change from here in Maryland - low humidity and 70ºs and 80ºs, cooler at night.

I don't have any before photos, but here are the after ones.


Front of the house. Grape vine climbs the picket fence. Gate is to the left.


This bed was mulched with pebbles which we shoveled out. We dug and divided the day lily then replanted two clumps. A third day lily came from along the picket fence buried under the grape vines. She plans to put in herbs along the front of this bed.
There's a red twig dogwood beyond this bed that I limbed up and removed gout weed from under. To the right of the dogwood is an expansion to an existing bed.


This is looking to the right of the dogwood which is out of the photo on the left. I removed all the sod to widen this bed. She planted some small plants in there. On the right are two very old rose bushes. The grape vine does not grow along the picket fence at this point.


This is the bed to the right of those roses bushes in previous shot. There's a hydrangea along the fence, a very healthy phlox getting ready to bloom, and next to the hosta a walking onion. This bed was also filled with gout weed which I removed.


This is the shade garden on the opposite side of the front walk. Emily did the clearing out here. I limbed up the cherry tree to open it up more. She's transplanted some ferns and pulled a lot of the mint.

The next photos are of her lovely vegetable garden.





1 comment:

Gail Barbosa said...

Hi Marcia - Been meaning to take a look at your blog and today I did. WOW. Beautiful pictures and lovely prose. I want to come live with you in your world.
I am counting down to Tues and you're not. Maybe you are counting down to travel adventures.
Just thought I'd say "Hi". Will check back when I get over the shock of such a wonderful and inspiring blog - had no idea. Gail