Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

March Book Club Selection

I have had the book, The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent for almost three weeks but only got around to reading it Saturday. I started it early in the morning after waking with a sore throat at 4:30 and unable to return to sleep. I made myself a cup of tea, curled up with a nice blanket and began to read.

I don't know about you, but it usually takes me a chapter to get the cadence of the writer's words before I can pick up my pace of reading. With this book I found myself rereading sections to understand at first, but then found the rhythm.

I was more than half way through by 8 o'clock when Dan showed himself for breakfast. After lunch I finished it.

It is a very well written story that keeps your attention. It takes place during the time of the Salem Witch Trials. For me to look back to that time period and try to understand the nature of life for those early colonists, is hard especially with the comforts that we have. They never had the luxury of sitting and reading a book. The amount of work it took to survive through the year was amazing. Layer on top of that the fear and mistrust of the unknown, it was a hard life. The author depicts that life well. Her ancestor, Sarah, would be proud that her story was told so well. It is imaginably real.

No comments: