Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

Isn't that a delightful name? It's actually the name of an historical fiction by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It's set in England and the Isle of Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands, directly after World War II. The main character is an author, Juliet Ashton, who begins a correspondence with several people on the island after one of them wrote to her when they had purchased a used book that once had belonged to Juliet. The story is told through all the letters. (Remember when people wrote letters?)

I don't want to give any of the story away because it is very charming. It was one I didn't figure out along the way. Maybe I was enjoying it too much to try.

No comments: