Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Squirrels

In December a friend mentioned that the oak trees this year have no acorns. I came home and looked under our oak tree out back and sure enough - no acorns.

We have had a lot of squirrels coming to our bird feeders and though they can't get to the feeders they have been eating what falls on the ground. I have been putting out cups of sunflower seeds on the stumps for them since learning about the lack of acorns.

Dan suggested we get a squirrel feeder so I ordered one from Duncraft. We put it up yesterday and today the squirrels have found it.



The feeder is loaded with corn cobs and eventually once they eat all of the ones on the top they will be swinging to get the one on the bottom.

1 comment:

Dan said...

It will be rather entertaining once they start spinning. It reminds me of that bird feeder that once the squirrel depresses the perch it spins it off.