Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Compost



Isn't it lovely? It's compost. An amazing thing happens when I put my yard waste and kitchen scraps in my compost bin. I know there are bugs and worms and other decomposers at work in there because I see them when I shovel it out. But I'm still amazed that they can turn those things in to this fine brown soil.



The biodegradable cup made of cornstarch is still intact in there. My daughter thought we should see if it would break down. I'll leave it in longer to see.

I used the compost yesterday to transplant a variety of plants. My soil is so poor here that I feel better putting the plants into compost than into the soil as is.

No comments: