Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, August 4, 2017

Harper's Ferry Fences

Monday, Dan and I took a short trip to Harper's Ferry, WV known for that famous raid on the US Arsenal by John Brown in an attempt to start a slave revolt and end slavery.  It didn't go well.  We learned that Harper's Ferry is also historic because of associations with George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, the Lewis & Clark Expedition, and the Niagara Movement & WEB DuBois.

to share these fences in Harper's Ferry.

Two rivers meet in Harper's Ferry.  Here's the bridge over the Potomac.


Here's the Shenandoah that empties into the Potomac.


We took a tour with a National Park Service ranger and visited the Harper's Ferry cemetery.


Here's the grave of a Revolutionary War veteran.


Many of the historical buildings are filled with exhibits.


The C & O Canal along the Potomac and the B & O Railroad had a race west.  Though the canal got to Harper's Ferry first the railroad won the race west.  


Here's the bridge over the Potomac, muddy from heavy rains over the weekend. The Appalachian Trail crosses here and Harper's Ferry is about the midpoint of that Maine to Georgia trek.





No bridge seems to be without locks of love these days.


4 comments:

Tom said...

...Marcia, another place I need to visit, thanks for the preview.

Latane Barton said...

Years ago, when my hubby was in the navy, we'd drive through Harper's Ferry headed back to Alabama to visit our folks. I haven't been back since. Guess I am missing out on things.

Gosia said...

interesting place to visit

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Looks like my kind of place...