Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Owl Nesting Box

We spent last weekend in New Hampshire and had a chance on Saturday to attend a couple of the studio open houses across the Connecticut River in Vermont.  The most enjoyable one was at the Vermont Stone Cross Company in Hartland, VT where we found of all things an owl nesting box.


Here's the artisan, Ken Hamblin on the right with Dan, holding the nesting box we purchased made from old barn timbers.


There were many lovely things to choose from including stone crosses and stone bird baths none of which I captured in a photo.


I called the Vermont Institute of Natural Sciences (VINS) which provided the specifications for the nesting box to find out more specifically where we need to mount it.  We'll need a tall ladder because it should be 20-30 feet from the ground, 150 feet away from our house, and amongst trees.  The box gets mounted on the side not the back to the tree so it appears to be in a branch coming out from the tree.  This will be quite an undertaking.  I know a neighbor with a tall ladder will be involved.  

I will post a follow-up of the mounting process when it happens.

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how neat, Marcia. I would love an Owl Nest Box.... I've never seen an owl around here --but I'm sure there are owls... Hope you get them to come and live in your nestbox next Spring... Hope you'll have the box somewhere where you can get photos.... Keep us posted.
Hugs,
Betsy

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I have a Screech Owl nesting box ... it has been out for years and the only inhabitants have been squirrels, though I have heard the Screech Owl on occasion. What kind of Owl are you expecting in your box? I look forward to seeing if you attract a family and oh, what wonderful pictures you will get. This is fun, Marcia ... thank you.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Marcia said...

Andrea - it's supposed to be for barred owls. The "who cooks for you" type.

Marcia said...

We often hear the owls late at night, early in the morning. We had just heard them recently so that's what sparked the purchase when we saw these.

Louisette said...

Wonderfull nest box, great idea!
Greeting from Belgium
Have a nice day!
Blog seniorennet.be Louisette

lisa lewicki hermanson said...

The boxes are beautiful in themselves, good luck with that project !