Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Long Book

Just finished reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, all 993 pages of it! This book takes place in 12th century England and revolves around the building of a cathedral. Overall Follett weaves a good story line involving the struggle between good and evil. Believability is something else since all but one of the main characters live to ripe old ages; something very doubtful for that time period. Another flaw in the writing is the excessive detail which bogs down the story. I find myself skimming over these parts to find out what is going to happen next.

Do I recommend it? Only if you have the time.

No comments: