Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Garlic


Last fall I planted an entire 3 x 3 bed with hardneck garlic. Below its the bed on the right.



In the spring thin shoots visible.


They continued to grow through the spring.

They put out the scapes all of which I cut off, but didn't use them all.

When the lower leave died at the end of June I pulled them and laid them out to dry in the heat of the garage.

Here is my final harvest cleaned up. 14 large bulbs and 5 small ones. There were a few more that I used already or gave away.

Now I have to select one or two of these for next year's crop. I won't plant as much because it took up so much space which meant I had to start the zucchini later.

No comments: