Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Sled Run at Blackwater Falls

We went to Blackwater Falls State Park in West Virginia expecting to experience more winter than we have had here.  Well, it was warm there too but fortunately they have had temps cold enough to make snow for the sled run.  We had booked two spots online for Thursday morning 10-12 slot.

We thought we would have the place to ourselves because that's they way it was at the Lodge where we were staying.  At the sled run the parking lot was jammed.  There was a school field trip there of kindergartners, parents, older siblings, grandparents, etc!

Here's the snack bar/registration area.


It was a dark and rainy morning with temps in the 40s.


The piles of toboggan type sleds.


To get to the top you sit in your sled and ride the Magic Carpet.  A 6 minute ride.  For me the ride was agony on my hip bones.  Don't know why.


It's a slow climb to the top of the run.  Dan is ahead of me in the green parka.


It's 1/4 mile ride down.  




Here's Dan,



I managed one trip.  I was proud I did that because it was a bit scary for me especially with slush covering my glasses and filling my sled.  I'd put my feet out to slow down and the angle of my feet dug up the slush and sent it back at me! 

Dan went down 5 times.  By the end he was soaking wet and needing to be warmed.  We headed back to the lodge and he stood in the shower for quite awhile warming up.

3 comments:

Tom said...

...back home without snowmaking, ski centers would be in trouble.

Anvilcloud said...

Once is good enough. That's all I did when we took the kids to a nearby hill on a snowy day.

Cynthia said...

How fun, and brave of you to go without children. The last time I went sledding, I went down a big hill with my grandsons and the bumps that jarred my joints and bones hurt! I did not go a second time either. At least you got a tow and did not have to walk back up.