Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Feathered Visitor

 Monday, Dan called me before breakfast to come look at the woodpecker he'd spotted on a tree bordering our driveway.  It was a pileated woodpecker hard at work drilling holes to feed on insects. 

I knew I couldn't open the door to take a photo and had to try through the window - not very successfully.  I tried two different cameras in fact. The first didn't get the colors right or focus and the second couldn't focus on the moving bird. Later I went out to take the photos of the tree.














Any suggestions on how I could have had a better photographic capture?

5 comments:

acorn hollow said...

No suggestions on how to get a better picture but we have two that are coming to our flowering crab tree to eat the little berries. they are amazing and huge. I had a neighbor once that called to tell me a prehistoric bird was in her yard.
Cathy

Tom said...

...I have a heck of a time photographing birds, they move too quickly for me!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

They are hard to photograph. I saw one on my hike yesterday and didn't get a single photo! But you did good to show what he was up to. They can sure work on a tree in a hurry!

Cynthia said...

Lucky you! Pileated woodpeckers are spectacular. You have to have a really big lens to do great bird photos. $$$$$ Then you have to be strong and steady enough to hold it still!

Anvilcloud said...

No suggestion. You probably shoot in auto mode, and the camera doesn’t know there’s a bird there. Don’t worry about it, and just enjoy the visit.