Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, June 12, 2017

National Public Radio

Another trip - this time to NPR Headquarters in Washington, DC for a tour.  I listen to NPR mostly in the car.  When I was home by myself I had it on most of the day but now with Dan home and us living in Vantage House I don't need the radio for company.

The building was a renovation of the old Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company warehouse.  I imagine that mid 20th century it was filled with telephone operators.  That system is long gone and C&P is now Verizon.

The space is quite lovely and environmentally certified.  They had a green roof but no photos allowed there because of the satellite dishes up there.  Saw the work spaces for All Things Considered and Morning Edition.  Also looked down on the on the hour newscasters, but again no photos allowed.

Here are the photos I was allowed to take.



Map of all the NPR affiliate stations.




Recognize Carl Kasselle and Pete Sagal from "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me"?


Click and Clack the Tappit Brothers from "Car Talk"?


Dian Rehm


Here's our tour guide.


The columns below are original to the building.


Here's how the hour is split up for All Things Considered each evening.


The control booth.




Inside the studio where the hosts sit (left) and guests or correspondents (right).





No echoes in this studio because of the way the walls are angled and because of those squares in the back.  Some have souvenir shot glasses in them from when Talk of the Nation broadcast from here.





All Songs Considered has a space where performers come for Tiny Desk concerts - very popular with all the staff.  Those performers leave souvenirs behind.


An Emmy.







Another great trip by Vantage House.  Next week I have another to the National Gallery of Art.

6 comments:

Tom said...

...I love NPR, but miss many of the shows that were on for ever. They are trying to keep up with the times, dang I don't like change!

Cynthia said...

We are big fans of NPR and sustaining members for years. Interesting to see the building, inside and out.

Kay said...

I always loved NPR in Chicago, but for some reason we don't get to listen to it as much here in Hawaii. The NPR here is not as robust as on the mainland. I loved the Tappit Brothers of Car Talk!

Dawn Y. said...

Fascinating behind the scenes peek into NPR, Marcia! We also love to listen in the car. I still miss The Car Guys. Thank you for sharing this experience. Vantage House plans so many great field trips! Enjoy! ♡

carol l mckenna said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely series of photos of what must have been an exciting trip for you ~ ^_^

Rhonda Albom said...

That looks like a very interesting tour of NPR.