Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, July 24, 2020

Blueberry Cobbler

By this time we should be fairly well moved in to our new digs in Lebanon, NH.  I've scheduled this post to appear on this date about one week after our arrival.  It is blueberry season in NH so I know we will be enjoying picking and eating them with granddaughters.

Until I get back to blogging enjoy this post from the past.


This one appeared 5 years ago today.

This is my go to recipe for an easy blueberry cobbler.  I can't take credit for it because I came upon it in Southern Living in 1983.  I have several of the Southern Living Annual Recipes Cookbooks but in this age of the internet, when it's easier to just do a search for a recipe, I use the cookbooks for the old favorites.  In fact I've written on the spine of the 1983 book to go to page 183 for blueberry cobbler.

3 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine) melted

Place blueberries in 10 x 6 x 2 inch baking dish and sprinkle with lemon juice.
Combine flour, sugar, egg, stir until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Spread over blueberries.
Drizzle melted butter on top.
Bake at 375º for 30 minutes.
Serve warm.
Yield: 6 servings.

(The recipe is attributed to Dottie Dear of Bronson, Florida.)

My variations:
Sprinkle on cinnamon on top of melted butter.
Mix blueberries with peaches.
Use another type of berry like blackberries.


I don't always use a rectangular baking dish.


Here's the flour, sugar and egg.  I use a fork to mix it.


The last time I made it I had ripe white peaches so I laid them on top.


Ready for the oven.  Nope sprinkle on some cinnamon first.


Three of us finished half of it for dessert.  My son-in-law William was visiting while Sarah was traveling to China.  We had it with ice cream on top.


Let me know if you try it and how you like it.

4 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Oh that looks scrumptious. Have a lovely weekend.

Tom said...

Looks GOOD! Tom The Backroads Traveller

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Still thinking about you ---and hoping that everything is going good with the new location. I know how happy you are to be close to the grandkids....

We are fine here and took a short trip to Biltmore this past week... Worked well --and we didn't put ourselves in any Covid danger, by not going into any busy places. We mostly walked around outside --and there weren't very people there.... PERFECT...

Have an awesome week.

Hugs,
Betsy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Now I have to go to the store and get some blueberries because this looks so good, Marcia. We did buy a pint over the weekend at a local fruit and veggie place, but these will be used for breakfast this week.