Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Fairy House Construction and Some Beautiful Blooms

Still settling in here in our new apartment so I'm going back in time to repost blogs from my past. 
This one appeared six years ago today.


Ever since I put in A's Garden (dedicated to my first granddaughter), I have had a spot to build a fairy house.  Today was the day to do it.  My inspiration for this came from this blog, but mine bears no resemblance to the ones that builder constructed.  This was my very first and likely to be, only attempt at building a fairy house.

Here's A's Garden.


Here's where the fairy house will be built.  This way I don't need to build many walls.


Dan had mortar for me to use and suggested soaking the stones first so they don't absorb all the moisture and dry out the mortar.  There's the door I purchased from The Little Hedge Row.


First I lifted the roof stone and inserted some stones on either side to increase the opening.



The red bucket has the stones soaking.  I used my kneeler pad to access the site.


Here's the side being constructed.


The front wall partially constructed.  I knew I would not be successful if I went with all small stones.



Construction continues.


Almost finished.  Now to find the right small stones to fit in the gaps.


Project completed.  The stone with the hole that had been on top is now a tower on the side.  I gathered stones to make a fence and there's even a stone sculpture by the door.


I had one gap above the door near the roof line so I inserted a piece of mica as a window.


Close up of the door and sculpture.


Close up of the window.


Close up of the tower.


The garden outside the fairy house door.


Completed!  Yeah!  Let's hope it holds up.


Here are the beautiful blooms I promised in the title:







Out front this hibiscus is now blooming.




Look at the size of these blossoms.



Last year I got no blooms because some insect was eating it.  This year I treated it with a systemic insecticide/fertilizer and it is gorgeous.


There are many more buds yet to open.


8 comments:

1st Man said...

OK, I'm at the farm and looking at this on my phone but it looks cool beyond words!! Can't wait to see it on a bigger screen later, ha.

Fun60 said...

I am going to store that idea for a fairy garden as I think one might appear in my back garden in a year or two. Wow that hibiscus bloom is huge beyond words. I don't think I have ever seen such a large one. Thanks for your comments on my other blog and yes I am off on my walks again.

Serenity Cove said...

Great job on the fairy garden! I love stuff like that. Your lilies are beautiful and so is the hibiscus!

Barb said...

My grands would love the fairy house! I wonder if it could withstand snow load? I've always thought those tiny tableaus are so charming.

Julie said...

Hi how has this held up? I am choosing a mortar mix now and wondering how yours has withstood weathering? Thanks, very nice design :)

Julie said...

Hi how has this held up? I am choosing a mortar mix now and wondering how yours has withstood weathering? Thanks, very nice design :)

Bonnie K said...

Nice. Did the little ones enjoy it? Hope you get settled soon.

Tom said...

...we are quite a builder.