Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Haines Shoe House

 Ever since I was little and the family would travel from Maryland to Lancaster, PA I would see a very large shoe house on a hill overlooking US 30 - Lincoln Highway.  We never stopped to investigate what it was until last week.  On our way to meet Dan's brother for dinner outside of Reading PA we had time to spare so we went to find out what it was.



It is the Haines Shoe House built in 1948 by Mahlon N. Haines, the Shoe Wizard of York, PA.


It is modeled after a high topped work shoe and measures 48 ft long and 17 ft wide at widest part.  It's 25 ft  high.  It has 5 levels with 3 bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen and living room.  I know all this from the brochure.  The shoe house was closed on this Monday.





There are shoes on the fence and the mailbox is a shoe!


Only in America!

10 comments:

Tom said...

...I love fun things like this.

acorn hollow said...

I have never heard about this house. But was there an old woman who lived there? With lots of children? lol
amazing
Cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

Interesting. Brings to mind the nursery rhyme about the old lady living in a shoe with all her children. Did the brochure say if someone actually lived there at one time?

Barbara Rogers said...

That is one for the books. Sorry you didn't get to tour, I would wonder if furniture is also shoe-themed!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

The mailbox looks a bit down at heel, but I'm sure you got a kick out of your visit.
(OK, I'll shut up now)

Fun60 said...

A fun post. I don'tthink I have ever seen anything like that. What a pity it was closed.

Marcia LaRue said...

I have seen this on a website about the back roads of America ... Not sure if it's still available, but had a lot of curious roadside attractions across the country!

Anvilcloud said...

I wonder what the inside would have been like, but I would think that seeing the outside was the main thing.

Cynthia said...

How funny! I think you will have to go back when its open and take more photos. It’s the only way most of your readers will ever have a tour of a shoe house!

Vicki Lane said...

So strange. Was it a business or a home? What motivated the builders?