Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Mashed Potato Question

 As Thanksgiving approaches one of the mainstays of that celebration meal is mashed potatoes at least on our table.  How about yours?

photo courtesy of Valley News.

But here's the real question: do you peel or leave unpeeled?

Mental Floss has an article today about how to peel potatoes after cooking them.  Read here.  It's interesting and very much like what you have to do with beets but it means the potatoes are then cooled down.

photo courtesy of Mental Floss

In my mind the skins are just as tasty as the flesh of the potato.  I never peel them anymore and mash them skins and all.  I usually use Yukon Gold or other yellow potatoes for mashed potatoes.  

Another article I read today, here. goes into lots of detail about starch content and such that insures the fluffiest or smoothest mashed potato.  I will stick to my Yukon Golds, leave a bit of the water in the bottom of the pan, add some milk, butter and salt and mash with my potato masher.  Never fails to make great mashed potatoes for my dining table.

So what do you use: peeled or unpeeled? Kind of potato? How do you mash?  What do you add?







8 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love potatoes and cook them in many different ways. Florida grows lots of potatoes and right now we have some beautiful small red potatoes in the stores. The skin is very thin and you just give them a scrub and they are good however you cook them. ENJOY!

Margaret said...

I don't like mashed potatoes, but I do love them baked. I usually go with stuffing/dressing at Thanksgiving because I do love that.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love mashed potatoes but don't have them much anymore... These days we eat Mashed Cauliflower instead.... I do eat Baked Potatoes with butter, salt/pepper, and sour cream.

BUT--for Thanksgiving, a typical meal here in Tennessee is turkey, gravy, dressing (or stuffing depending on where you live), SWEET POTATOES, Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry Relish/sauce, Rolls --and pie (Pumpkin, Apple, Pecan, etc.)....

My family did not have Mashed Potatoes for Thanksgiving (since we ate the sweet Potatoes instead)... BUT--there are many people in our area who do eat Mashed Potatoes on thanksgiving.

Turkey was our Thanksgiving meat --and we always had Ham at Christmas.

I have never left the skin on except on the red potatoes --so I'll have to try that sometime.

Hugs,
Betsy

Tom said...

...I would like the potatoes mashed with the skin on, but the other number of the family no doubt wouldn't. My wife buys the potatoes and I peel them.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I like Yukon Gold potatoes too, and yes, we leave the skins on. My understanding is that it adds a lot of nutrition. We will have turkey and all the fixins next Thursday. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Anvilcloud said...

I have never ever heard of leaving the skins on. It blows my mind to think of it. Anyway, the mashed potatoes that we have at TG and Christmas are special and done with cheese and I think sour cream etc. But plain are fine too. I prefer them to baked, but they’re not as good as roasted.

Cynthia said...

Organic unpeeled potatoes, Yukon Gold the favorite but we often have to take what we can get in organic potatoes. Hand mashed with the chewy skin pieces left in, a little butter, milk, and sometimes cream cheese or sour cream and green onion tops if there is no gravy. I’ll be eating Thanksgiving dinner with my mom in a care center so I imagine we will be having the instant variety!

Kay said...

I guess we don't do mashed potatoes since the stuffing is enough carbs for us this year (since it's just the 3 of us). When the whole family gets together, we definitely have mashed potatoes especially because my Irish-American sister-in-law makes it.