Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Death Cleaning

No one has died.  But my husband had heard of the book The Gentle Art of Death Cleaning from me when I read it a year ago.  He decided it made sense to go through all his writings from the last 25 years and deep six those of no use to anyone but himself at the time he wrote.  He did keep some that he thought his grandchildren or great grandchildren may want to read some day.  As he says he would like to know more about his great grandparents but there's nothing in writing about their lives other then what you can find with genealogy research.

He printed out what he saved and I read and edited it.  Now I have it downloaded on Blurb and am using Bookwright to make it into a book.  It will be a long process.

After he completed that task he went through all the letters I wrote to him, re read them, offered them to me to re read, I declined.  They have now been trashed except for one that I did read.  

In reading it it brought back memories of college and a decision I had to make about studying abroad in Japan.  It didn't happen.  The course work didn't fit my Urban Studies major plus it was out of reach financially for my parents.  I think back now to why it was so attractive to me and I think it was because of my childhood spent in the Philippines. As I said in my letter I thought I'd have a chance to travel back to Dumaguete where we lived.

In the rest of the letter I wrote "I guess there are a lot of things in life that a lot of people would like to do but never get a chance to.  And then too I guess the happiest are those who look forward to trying to do something so that someday they might get a chance and the saddest are those who give up before they even try."

I then followed with a list of things I would like to do.

1. go to Easter Island and other Pacific islands
2. live off the land for a year or two
3. learn how to really play the piano or guitar or flute
4. sew a long frilly skirt
5. paint a beautiful mural
6. go backpacking on the Appalachian Trail
7. bake some bread from scratch
8. cut down my own Christmas tree and make everyone presents instead of buying them
9. hitchhike or bike around Europe or Eastern Europe.

In reviewing this list I can say at almost 50 years later I've done #s 6, 7, & 8.  And I have no desire to to do any of the others!  Who was I in 1970?

Here I am in early life.  I sent Dan some of these pictures in my letters.  These were taken in the Philippines.  What a long time ago that was.




And then my husband checked out the Death Cleaning book to read it.  He made the right decision on his clean out.

6 comments:

Terra said...

Those photos from the Philippines show how darling you were. I did 7, 8 and 9 from your list. Good for your hubby to clear out a lot of papers and save the ones of interest to future generations.

Cynthia said...

Such a cute little girl with your curls and frills! You made a bucket list before there were bucket lists! I’m sure it is interesting to see what your dreams were then and though you have not fulfilled all of those, you have had many adventures you never could have imagined at that age. I think it’s wonderful your husband is saving some of his writings for his children and grandchildren and you are making them into a book.

Marcia said...

Cynthia, I think your book may have been some of the inspiration to save writings for descendants.

Nan said...

So much to think about here. I did burn my grownup diaries, but still have my teenage ones. And my mother's which I refer to regularly. It's like having her with me a bit. And who knows what my kids or grandkids might be interested in.
There's a great line in a Greg Brown song about the couple when they are older burning their love letters so the kids wouldn't be "shocked". You may hear the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZORMVumyA

Kay said...

Oh my! You were such an adorable little girl. I guess I’ve begun recording things for the kids too and have prepared genealogy information for them to pass on. I have a lot of cleaning to do though.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, you were a cute little girl. It is great to have a bucket list even more so if you can accomplish all on the list. I guess we should all keep trying and not give up on our goals and dreams. Enjoy your day and weekend!