Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

European Vacation - Part IV

Another Landmark Church in Helsinki: Uspenski Cathedral


It's an Eastern Orthodox church built when Finland was a duchy of Russia under Alexander II.


It's supposed to be the largest Orthodox church in Western Europe.


It's filled with icons, some of which have been stolen through the years.




There are no pews.  I believe that parishioners stand in the Orthodox tradition.



It's quite a tourist attraction in Helsinki.

4 comments:

Tom said...

How wonderful...you certainly saw some fabulous sights.

Jim said...

Beautiful

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Beautiful church, I wondered about the stolen Icon till I read what happened in the link

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos! The Uspenski Cathedral is magnificent.