Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Tuesday Treasure #18 - Volunteers or The Benefits of Composting

As I prepare for the big move, I'm reflecting on my time at this house by looking back at popular blog posts.  I've scheduled one a week as I take a hiatus from blogging.
**************************
This blog appeared in July 2009.  Another one of some popularity.  
Linking to Tuesday Treasure

Volunteers or The Benefits of Composting
(July 13, 2009)


As I wander through my garden I come across volunteer plants: tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, maybe even melons. I have to decide whether to pull them out or leave them to grow. In the case of the new day lilies I planted, the tomato seedlings had to go. There were 5 or 6 around each plant. Others that have sprouted in the perennial beds have been given a chance and I hope to harvest something from them.

Below is a butternut squash volunteer. It has two fruits on it.


As you can see below this volunteer appeared in my planter. I can't pull it out now.
This climbing volunteer was thought to be a cucumber. Since it was grasping on to my lily next door I put up the trellis for it to climb. I'm not so sure its a cucumber. It may be a melon.

This butternut is growing amongst the columbine and foxglove seedlings.

The final volunteer is not from compost but from birds or squirrels. This lovely sunflower appeared in my front bed. My bird feeder is on the other side of the house. It has just bloomed and is quite the attraction for the bees. Are they honey bees?


3 comments:

Dan said...

Those are some very nice volunteers. I have loads of tomatoes & potatoes coming up from seed. They have actual become a bit of a pain. I would have to say my favorite compost volunteer this year is a tomatillo. The pollinator on your beautiful sunflower looks to be a Hoverfly.

Anonymous said...

nice garden...your effort shows...

Yvonne said...

Hi Marcia: You've done great things with your four-year-old garden. Lovely blooms. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog on blooms day. Cheers/Yvonne