Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Asparagus Soup


 Joining Robin at Gardener of Eden for Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard.

Here's a favorite spring time recipe for asparagus soup.  It's been a very long time since I grew my own asparagus but I have always loved eating it in the spring.  I came upon this recipe in the Fulton Elementary Cookbook which was the school I used to teach at.  The cookbook was published in 2002 and I was given a copy by one of my students because his illustration was selected for the cover.

Asparagus Soup

1 T. butter
1 small onion chopped
1 T flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 lb. asparagus cut in 1 inch pieces
1 tsp savory
sour cream or plain yogurt
chives

Melt butter.  Add onion and saute until tender.  Add flour and stir in to cook.
Gradually add chicken broth then bring to a boil.  Add asparagus and savory and simmer about 25 minutes.  Use an immersion blender to puree entire contents of your soup pan.  Serve with dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives. (The chives and savory came from the herb garden and mentioned on Tuesday's post.)


Again I forgot to take a photo of the soup at serving time.  Here's a bowl partially finished.

11 comments:

Robin said...

Oh yum! I just love asparagus soup! I don't think we will have enough from the garden this year to make it though.

I'm saving this recipe for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Daphne Gould said...

I don't think I've ever had asparagus soup. It looks delicious.

Marcia said...

You definitely should try it.

Jody said...

That looks great. Maybe, just maybe we'll get enough asparagus to make a pot of soup. Your recipe looks delicious.

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

That is very similar to the asparagus soup recipe I use, except that you use savory and I usually put a bit of thyme in mine. We've had it once this season and we are freezing some of our asparagus so we can enjoy the soup this winter. Yours looks yummy!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That sounds wonderful, Marcia... I love asparagus --but have never had an asparagus soup... Thanks for the recipe... YUM.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Amber said...

I used to sub at Fulton Elementary when I was at U of MD! Perhaps I subbed for you! I used to work at Bel Pre in Montgomery County and was a reading teacher at Deale in Anne Arundel! The soup looks yummy and your home is lovely :)

HolleyGarden said...

I don't think I've ever had asparagus soup, but it sounds delicious!

Marcia said...

What a small world. When were you there?

Marcia said...

It is a favorite around here in spring time.

jeanlivingsimple said...

I must try this recipe. I love asparagus.