Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Another Book Finished

This book club I'm in is really inspiring me to read more which I'm liking a lot. The latest book is one the book club read last year and was highly recommended. I found it at the library and just finished it even though I haven't started the book for the next meeting on March 20th.

Anyway the book is "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. It's a heart wrenching life story of her growing up with terribly self centered parents who definitely marched to the beat of their own drummers and not in step with each other or with any concern for their 4 children.

My parents lived in West Virginia for awhile in the 80s and 90s which is where this book takes place for the second half of the writer's childhood. My mom would volunteer at a thrift shop and told us of families that would come in periodically to get clothing because it was cheaper (or free) than using the laundromat. Thrift shops and hand-me-downs were Jeannette's source of clothing through high school.

I'll let the writer speak for herself. Here she is on youtube

No comments: