Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, July 14, 2024

Where we stayed in Switzerland

 


This was our fourth trip with UnTours, the others being to Scotland, Barcelona, and Southern Spain. 

Our apartment was in Meiringen and as I shared before this was the view from the backyard. 


And to either side. 



We walked along here to get to town center, train station and shopping. 


This different sort of grill we used twice. Once for steaks and another time for wurst. 


The street side of this house was unassuming. 



We met the owner who lives in Basel. He grew up in this house that was his grandfather’s before his father’s. 


There is quite a collection of antiques including the carriage below. 


Peter, the owner, is responsible for converting the house to three apartments. We had the ground floor apt with kitchen, living room, bath and one bedroom. Our daughter and family were one flight up with more space including a sleeping loft. Another apt was above that. 

He told us the ground floor was once where the animals lived. He had to shovel it out. 


It really felt like home for our two weeks. 

7 comments:

Tom said...

...you stayed in a storybook inspired setting.

doodles n daydreams said...

This looks like a lovely, calm place, it reminded me of pictures from my Heidi storybook from childhood. How nice to stay there for a couple of weeks.

Anvilcloud said...

I am sorry that you had to endure this. 😉

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Life is tough, huh?

Faith said...

I'm jealous!!! I've wanted to go to Switzerland ever since i was about 8 years old and read all the Heidi books and saw the movie!! What a GORGEOUS setting you were blessed with. I've never heard of Untours.

acorn hollow said...

Just lovely lucky you
Cathy

Vicki Lane said...

That's a perfect way to visit another country!