Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Soup for a Snowy Day Lunch

 Tuesday the snow just kept coming and coming.  We went in the late morning to vote in our town elections and when I came home I decided it was a soup lunch day.  Raided the vegetable drawers and came up with this combination:

three celery stalks and one onion sauteing in butter,


carrots, parsnips to add,


about 6 portabella mushrooms,


a potato,


3 cups of beef broth (low sodium),


2 tablespoons flour to add to celery & onion mix to make a roux before adding broth and the rest of the vegetables.


I seasoned it with a small handful of Herbs from Provence and chopped garlic plus some black pepper.


Once it came to a boil I let it simmer until lunch time.  Meanwhile outside the snow just keeps coming.



I placed a handful of arugula in the bowls and served the soup on top with a sprinkling of shaved parmesan.  Dan pronounced it delicious. I thought so too.


And the best part is there is enough to have it again today - Wednesday.




8 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

It was a sleety sort of day here, but the snow didn’t accumulate too much, and it tends to not stick for too long now. Mind you, the winter accumulations are not melting much yet. It’s just that the new stuff doesn’t appear to be staying long.

Tom said...

...we have been enjoying chicken soup!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yesterday was definitely a soup day as we had accumulating snow as well. Here in Nashua, it was homemade chicken soup served with homemade bread (recipe to post) and we also have leftovers. Your soup looked delicious, Marcia.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The snowy photos are beautiful! Soup sounds good and I always love to bake on cold days. Stay warm and safe!

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful "put together" soup. What you had on hand, and your knowledge of what works well to make a soup in a couple of hours. Snow looks pretty and I'm glad you went out early rather than late. We had fluries all day yesterday, but nothing stuck.

DrumMajor said...

That soup looks beautiful and tasty. I can smell in through the computer! Linda in Kansas

Faith said...

I had a "snow day" from teaching so put together Meatball (vegan "beef") Soup in my slow cooker. I also make one very similar to yours but we are plant based so I use Veggie Low Sodium Broth ....yours looks yummy!! love having leftovers for the next day at work :)

acorn hollow said...

IT sounds delicious! We ended up with 4 to 5 inches more than enough.
Cathy