Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Fort Niagara


Hard to tell what you're looking at here, but it is the entrance to Fort Niagara situated on the point where the Niagara River enters Lake Ontario.


We spent a Saturday morning in mid-July here when we were visiting daughter Sarah, son in law. William and granddaughter in their new environs of Buffalo, NY.



As forts go this is a large one with a storied past.

It's a New York State Park now and filled with stuff to make your visit interesting including ...


re-enactors.


What's strange about this fort is this French looking chateau inside the walls.


Fort Niagara was first a French fort.  And the French not wanting to upset the native peoples built the chateau as their fort in 1726.


If you know your history, Britain beat the French in the French and Indian War so the fort became British.  Battlements were built by the British.


It stayed in British hands through the American Revolutionary War but was handed over once the colonies won independence.








During the War of 1812 the British recaptured it.



But the British had to give it back once the war was settled.





Re-enactors stage a demonstration of the cannon.












Below is when it fired.  It startled me so much I couldn't stay centered.


This building is called the French Castle.





Here's the rooms of the Fort commandant.



Here is one of them.


Fort Niagara is directly across the river from Niagara on the Lake which was settled by Loyalists during the American Revolution.  There was some mention at the fort of Patriots burning that settlement to the ground but I could find no mention of that when I searched to refresh my memory of the history.

9 comments:

Tom said...

...a spot that I've never gotten to yet!

Marcia said...

And Tom you live closer than I do. Your grandkids would like it if you go when there are lots of activities.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

We have been there... Hubby loves to visit the forts --wherever we go... This one was very interesting...

You asked what has changed this year to keep the deer away... WELL--it's nothing we did; it's the weather... We had such a wet winter/spring --and even early summer this year that there has been PLENTY for the deer to eat in their own environment.... When it's very dry here, the deer some to visit just looking for something to munch on!!!!! This year has been one of the wettest on record for us.... SO--I'll pray for lots of rain next spring also... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Anvilcloud said...

I do member visiting Fort George (I think it was) on the Canadian side many years ago.

Cynthia said...

Except for the chateau, it’s interesting to see how similar all forts of the era were. Not surprising I guess as there was probably a standard military plan they built by. The reenactors add a nice bit of color, don’t they.

Fun60 said...

I never realised there was a Fort Niagara. Thanks for the history lesson.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I had no idea - but it looks my kind of place (of course!). We gave it back TWICE? Good grief! Excellent photos, Marcia.

diane b said...

A great way to be reminded of the history. I love the French styled Building.

Kay said...

Ah yes! We've been there. These are great photos and brings back wonderful memories for us.