Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

No Sign of the Loch Ness Monster

On our trip to Scotland in Sept/Oct of last year, we headed north one day to visit Loch Ness.

The major tourist spot is the Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness and since we'd purchased the 7 day Historic Scotland Explorer Pass we took advantage of it.

The castle is right on the banks of Loch Ness so there was no reason not to look for that monster.

We had a beautiful day too.




The castle and its site have witnessed some of the most dramatic chapters in Scottish history.


This is where St. Columba is said to have worked miracles in the 6th century.



The castle was sacked and rebuilt countless times.


In 1692 it was blown up to prevent the Jacobites from using it.













No monsters out there!



















Here is a schematic of its history.






Now its just magnificent ruins.



Above is one of my favorite views in Scotland.  I am puzzled though by what the lines are in the forested hills.

5 comments:

Tom said...

...what a spot, better luck next time!

diane b said...

The castle has had a long, turbulent and colourful history. Lucky you had such a nice day.

Cynthia said...

The old castle looks like a wonderful place to explore. Such lovely views those folks had. I sat by the lake on a cold fall day for hours and had the same luck as you. Good reason to go back, eh?

Lea said...

Wow! What a wonderful trip that must have been!

Kay said...

This is such an interesting, picturesque place to visit. I'm so envious! I'm surprised they didn't put up some sort of Loch Ness monster statue for tourists. :-)