Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Tuesday's Treasures #6

These sets of old photographs are treasures in this house.

They are arranged together on a wall in my front hall.


The two on the left are from my family and the two on the right from my husband's family.


On the right is my father, his parents in the center, my grandparents, and my father's maternal grandparents on the far left.

Now if you are familiar with the author Beverly Lewis who writes novels about the Amish, these are the grandparents we share.  Our grandmother was not Amish and neither were our great grandparents.  My father frequently argued this point with my cousin Beverly.

I have no memories of my paternal grandmother because she died while we were in the Philippines in the early 1950s.  I have a memory of that occasion because it was rare for us to get a phone call from the States.  My mother took the call and was crying from hearing the news of the death.



Here is my mother's family with her parents on the left.

My first memory of my grandmother was in 1957 after we returned from the Philippine Islands where my parents were missionaries.  By this time my grandmother was paralyzed from the waist down.  This is the grandmother whose photo I featured in Tuesday Treasure #4.




No one in the above photo is alive any longer.  My Uncle Paul, the young boy on the right died at the age of 102 in November 2015.


These are the Browns.  Dan's paternal grandfather is the man seated, great grandparents are the two standing photos and great great grandparents with offspring on the right. 


Dan's mother is seated there on the right, her parents married the day after the big stock market crash in 1929.  There they are seated on a jalopy and Dan's grandfather stands there with his short tie that was the fashion.  Dan's paternal great grandparents are the couple on the left.

I've been doing some genealogy on Dan's ancestors.  I started this back in the late 70s but have just gotten back to it with the advantage of the digital age.  I find myself with the same puzzle: who was the mother of Dan's great-grandfather?  I hope to solve the puzzle.






10 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

What a treasure those photos are, and I'm so inspired now to do the same with my old photos of the ancestors, display them. Great idea. I don't know why I've never done that. Thank you.

Small City Scenes said...

Wow those photos certainly are treasures. I hope you solve the puzzle. My older brother and one of my daughters has done quite a bit of Genealogy on both sides of the family my Mother's side was easier because they wrote so much down but the puzzles are on my Father's side mainly because while he was the youngest he died very young (age 41) and we have no one to ask questions. Good luck.
MB

Dawn Y. said...

True family treasures to be sure, Marcia! I just love hearing the stories about the lives of our relatives. Both my father and my husband enjoy doing genealogy research. As more and more of the old records are digitized, there are so many amazing discoveries awaiting! Have fun with your detective work. It's so important! ♡Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes

Tom said...

What a lovely collection of family treasures, I have very few family pictures. Thanks Marcia for sharing this week and I look forward to seeing more of your treasures.

Lois said...

Beautiful family photos! I love the way you have them framed. I have stacks of old photos like this, but unfortunately many of them are not labeled. I know I am related to all of the people in them, I just don't know who they are. After seeing your display, I might pull out a few of them and show them off anyway!

uberrhund said...

Family photos are treasure indeed. Yours are well displayed in their frames to enjoy daily. Good luck on the search for more ancestors!

Rose said...

You are so blessed to have family photos. I have none...barely have a photo of my mom and dad. Let alone any of the grandparents. Yet I love reading about other's families and seeing photos.

genie said...

You and I have somethings common...our love for old family photos and the desire to preserve them for coming generations. I see that you, too, mark your pictures so people in the future will know who the people are. I love them all. So glad you have them protected in frames. That is so important. I know they are special treasures to you.

doodles n daydreams said...

Lovely family photos and wonderful to have some history with them.

Diana
http://adifferentlenslens365.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/52-george-street.html

Ida said...

You have preserved these old family photos in a wonderful way.