Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Moon Flower

When I started my project to keep the deer out of the backyard and protect the gardens from their damaging eating habits, part of that plan was an arbor with gate to block their entry from the west.  [See more about the D.P.P. here.]
The arbor I purchased was crying out for a vine and I selected a Moon Flower.  It gets its name because it blooms at night.  It has grown quite well in this spot but I haven't really seen it bloom until yesterday evening.  Before then I would see the spent blossoms or the buds but not the big white flowers.

I spotted this one as we sat and ate dinner on the screen porch.  As I face the perennial garden I could see the white of the blossom.  




The blossoms are as big as the hibiscus.


This morning there were two blossoms with many more buds set to open.  It is lovely but unfortunately will not last the winter.  Who knows what I'll plant there next year.





The second blossom's petals must be too heavy to fully open out.



 Or maybe that petal is caught behind?


Here's a new bud showing the promise of more to come.


By the way the D.P.P. has worked wonderfully this year.  Fishing line has done the trick to keep the deer out even when we were on vacation and those critters always seem to know when we're gone.  I still have hosta in the Glen Garden that in past Augusts would be just stems by now.



5 comments:

Fun60 said...

I am not familiar with the moon flower, it looks beautiful. Such a pity that it won't last through the winter.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

never heard of this plant but a pity itonly blooms at night and wil not survive the winter. I was going to send you a link I have for 19 ways of using tomatoes as I knew you had a lot of that bounty but I could not find your email address. If you want it, write to me
margaretadamson@mail.com Have a lovely weekend.

Dawn Y. said...

Marcia, your arbor and garden gate are just lovely! So glad the D.P.P. is working! I'm delighted that you had the chance to see a big Moon Flower blossom unfurl and shine in the evening. Our next-door neighbor used to grow a Moon Flower vine on a four-foot tall tree stump. The vines covered the entire stump and had so many big, white blossoms. Thanks for the sweet memories... Happy weekend!
♡Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes

Tom said...

I can see how it got it's name. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Bonnie K said...

I really like it. I may have to give it a try in my white garden next year. Thanks for the heads up. Where did you get the seeds?