Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Washington, DC Memorials

We've been talking about going down to Washington, DC to see the memorials that have been dedicated in recent years, the newest one being the Martin Luther King memorial.  All of these are situated west of the Washington monument along the National Mall. We parked in Silver Spring and took the Metro down to the Smithsonian stop and walked in a wide loop visiting all these memorials.  It was hot but well worth the trip on a Sunday.

The photos speak for themselves but I will provide dividing headers to identify what you are looking at.  Maybe it will inspire you to make the trip one day.  You can even do it on rented bicycles or join a segway tour.


The Discovery Bldg in Silver Sping, MD celebrating shark week!

Come up from the Metro and hang a left heading west toward the Washington Monument - still closed from the earthquake last August.  We made a counter clockwise loop going as far west as the Lincoln Memorial before returning to the Metro stop.


The White House due north from the monument.


The DC War Memorial (WWI)





Martin Luther King Memorial.








The FDR Memorial.











Jefferson Memorial across the Tidal Basin from FDR.


Another look across the Tidal Basin.


MLK Memorial as seen from FDR's.


Korean War Memorial.






Lincoln Memorial.


Vietnam Veterans Memorial.





Women of the Vietnam War Memorial.


WWII Memorial














A memorable day!

9 comments:

Janet said...

Excellent! There are many, many new memorials in DC since I was there as a child.

joy said...

Oh, I am so thankful that you shared these pictures coz I believed it will be a long travel for me. Now I know how it looks like there. Wonderful monuments. Droppping by from OWT.

Marcia said...

Thanks for stopping by.

Marcia said...

We both lived around outside DC as children and thought we'd kept up with the new memorials but we were surprised that we had not seen many of these in recent years.

Thanks for stopping by.

Black Jack's Carol said...

I am saddened that there have been so many wars, but grateful that so much effort has gone into remembering the dead. i guess FDR said it best. His words really ring true. MLK is one of my heroes. Thank you for posting this. I hope to see Washington, D.C. for myself, some day, but in the mean time, this tour was excellent.

Patricia said...

Marvelous photos. I think we are ready for another trip to DC...so much since we were last there. They women of Vietnam always makes me cry!

Marcia said...

I was moved to tears at most of these memorials. We couldn't walk past the Vietnam Wall because I would be balling my eyes out.

~~~jennifer~~~ said...

I just went to DC for the first time a couple weeks ago. I missed a couple of the memorials you saw, so it was nice to see them through your camera. I totally agree - it's an emotional place to visit.

1st Man said...

I've never been to DC. I had no idea the memorials were so beautiful, moving and thought provoking. Your pictures are just wonderful. Thank you for sharing!