Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday Morning


We are having some incredibly high temperatures and it's no fun to be outside at all. This morning I got up at 5 o'clock and was outside by 5:30 to water. I have been faithfully watering the vegetable and perennial gardens on alternating days, but haven't had to regularly water some of the shrubs because of the rain frequency. I decided that with the high heat that I need to walk around and soak the newest juniper shrubs planted this spring on the north side of the house and the north garden with the lavender, Russian sage, butterfly bushes, and hydrangeas. I also have 4 English laurels along the driveway that needed a good soaking. The temperatures and humidity were fine at that hour. It was just me out there with the birds singing.

I took pity on the frogs and couple of goldfish in the pond and ran some water in there while I took photos. Later after I came in we had a down pour. Of course! It filled up the pond nicely and gave everything a soaking though a longer lasting gentler shower would have been best.

Here is the pond overgrown with cat tails. The Joe Pye weed is just about ready to open its blooms in the background.

Hibiscus - this one has just started to bloom in the perennial garden. The one in the front had been blooming but has gotten sick. I snipped off all its diseased buds and hope it will recover to look like this again.

Tiger lily at least I think it is. It came in a transplant gift with day lilies. I have never seen it bloom before on the bank of the pond because it has always gotten eaten by the deer before it bloomed. This year I was diligent to keep it sprayed with Liquid Fence and it is lovely.
Crape myrtle - my Arbor Day Foundation free tree has started to bloom. I have 5 more of these in a temporary setting while they grow. I'll move them in the fall to their final location. It does grow fast which I like and the deer don't seem to bother them at all. I love the color at this hot time.

A bloom in the vegetable garden from one of several producing zucchini plants. The bees were busy pollinating these this morning.

I am getting tomatoes but for how much longer I really wonder. The plants are yellowing fast. Is it the heat? Is it lack of water or over watering? Don't know.
Two foot chicken wire encloses this bed to keep the bunny from eating the beans. This is my second planting of beans. I did manage to get beans from the first planting before the bunny found the plants. The bunny did bite all the leaves off the eggplants but left the leaves lying in the soil. I don't think the plants will recover but I've left them for now.

Lettuce, mesculun, spinach and maybe broccoli in this netted bed to keep the bunnies out and give the plants some slight shade.

I picked this basketful of produce this morning. Peppers are nicely producing for me. I've been enjoying the cucumbers and zucchini too. I picked some tomatoes early as you can see.


2 comments:

HolleyGarden said...

Your tiger lily is beautiful! Worth the extra trouble. You seem to have so much trouble with the wildlife - deer and rabbits must stalk you nightly! It's good that you're getting some rain, and your harvest looks nice!

jeanlivingsimple said...

Of course I understand your dismay with your heat wave. Hope it breaks for you soon.
Yep...looks like a Tiger Lily to me!