Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

September's Bloom Day


It is definitely autumn. Plants are preparing for their time of dormancy. The majority of my plants have passed their bloom times, so it was with some trepidation that I entered the garden to find photo ops for today's Bloom Day. I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. There is still color out there. And those plants would be affronted if I said there was nothing to photograph because they're doing their darndest to be pleasing to the eye.


My volunteer marigold is still going strong!


The deer left a few blossoms on the new aster I planted in August.


The black-eyed susan and the false dragon are a nice combination.


The Autumn Joy sedum is in this location for the first time this year. It was a seedling from one of the plants in the front bed.


The striped phlox continues to bloom inside its protective cage (ground hog's favorite plant).


The savory is in full bloom.


One of the three mounds of cheddar pinks has decided to flower one last time.


Don't the grasses count as blooms?


The expanse of Autumn Joy in the front bed is muted by the morning sun. I'm really pleased by this bed: liriope, sedum, lavender, Russian sage (not visible), butterfly bushes and hydrangeas.

One of the few remaining butterfly bush flowers.


The hibiscus in its glory.



And the promise for more blooms in days to come.




A special thank you to my friend, Sherrilynn at Bluebird Nursery for sending me the striped phlox and the hibiscus as trial plants this year. I hope they survive the winter and give me blooms in the future.

1 comment:

Noel Morata said...

aloha

i'm enjoying touring your garden with you today, i'm really enjoying my visit. the hibiscus bloom looks huge, i bet it must be larger than a hand?