Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Sodus Bay Lighthouse


A light station was in continuous service at this site from 1825-1901 until the Sodus Bay Outer Pier Light (below) became the main navigational aid for Sodus Bay.


The building was home to lighthouse keepers and later Coast Guard staff until the 1970s.



The map below show the locations of all the lighthouses on Lake Ontario.


The lighthouse was saved by the town and is now a museum.  It has lots of interesting displays including this one on ice harvesting.



And this one on vacationing at Sodus Bay.



Five people at a time are allowed to climb the lighthouse tower making sure to duck and a critical spot.



As lighthouse towers go this one is a short climb to the top.





It has a spectacular view.






I sure didn't know that Sodus Bay figured in the War of 1812.  There is a display inside the museum that elaborates on this signage outside.


For climbing the lighthouse tower each family unit got a magnet that showed this picture of the lighthouse.


 

7 comments:

Tom said...

...I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Anvilcloud said...

I wonder why lighthouses are so much more appealing that heavyhouses? 😜
But they are.
I hadn’t realized that there were so many around Lake Ontario. I wonder how many are still there.

acorn hollow said...

why did the rebuild it was the other one destroyed? they still harvest ice here on Squam Lake each winter. There is an all-inclusive camp that families have been going to for generations that have iceboxes.
Cathy

Barbara Rogers said...

I love lighthouses, and learning about their history! They exist to save lives, but the people who have maintained them are also a special breed of people, I think.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Lighthouses seem to have universal appeal as tourist attractions, even for people who have no maritime connection. I always enjoy visiting them and did so quite a bit on our recent visit to Atlantic Canada.

Vicki Lane said...

Wow! A good view, indeed. Thanks for making the climb!

Cynthia said...

I think lighthouses are fascinating, especially the stories about the keepers and their families. We have visited quite a few up and down the East Coast and on the Great Lakes.