Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, July 18, 2022

Our Covid Story

Here is our Covid story which doesn't have an ending yet.  

Dan is in a chorus that rehearses an hour and a half away from our home.  Fortunately he joined a carpool that meets a half hour from here.  The chorus had their first of five performances on Sunday a week ago. That Monday the director was exposed to Covid.  He took all the precautions and thought he was in the clear to direct their open rehearsal/concert on Thursday.  He even masked for that. Friday morning he came down with symptoms and tested positive!

Now the chorus is a rather elite group and some of the members are music directors as well.   There was a concert scheduled on Friday evening so the music directors in the group split up the 90 minute concert with one of them stepping up to conduct a most difficult and long selection. The concert went well.  I attended and was impressed.

Saturday the group traveled by carpools for 2 hours south and west of here for a concert. That one went well too.

Sunday afternoon was to be the last concert. That morning the pianist sent out an email that she had tested positive for Covid.  There was no way another pianist could step in to replace her. The concert was canceled.

Sunday evening, one of the members of Dan's carpool, that he had spent a total of 4 hours in the car on Saturday, with tested positive.  He had tested himself Sunday morning before going to work at his church and was negative.  Then symptoms set in and 12 hours later: positive.

So Dan has been exposed! Maybe from the director, maybe from the pianist, but definitely by his fellow carpooler.  We tested Dan last night at 8:00 pm and he was negative.  He had no symptoms then and none this morning. Yesterday he tried to sign up for a PCR test for this morning but with no symptoms he didn't meet the criteria.

As a precaution I slept in the guest room last night but is that going to make a difference to my exposure level? He could be contagious now before showing symptoms.  If he does test positive, what do I do? On one hand I feel like "Let me just get it over with." On the other hand despite being double boosted I worry "What if I get a severe case?"

As I said the story has no ending yet.  Dan thinks if he doesn't get symptoms by Thursday he's in the clear. I think we will need to continue to test him.

What would you do?




12 comments:

Fun60 said...

I wouldn't worry too much. If you are up to date with the vaccinations it probably won't be too bad. The family went away in Feb. Eight of us altogether. Five of us got Covid and three didn't! We think it was my 4yr grandson who had the virus first. We all tested negative when we arrived and I fell ill first when we got home but didn't test positive for 3 days.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm guessing if he's symptom free for 5 day, and has tested for 5 days showing negative, it's probable he didn't get it. My best understanding. But I don't remember if he has to be isolated if he's symptom free as well as neg. testing. Isn't this a strange conversation to have? We have fallen into the rabbit hole of the pandemic! I was just at a meeting and everyone wore masks, and we had fans going and the doors to the outside open. So many of our friends, or friends of friends had COVID now. We all are just holding our breath, in a way.

acorn hollow said...

My husband got covid out of nowhere we had no idea where he picked it up. I moved into the spare room and masked and ate in different places in the house. I did not get covid. I say take precautions you never know how it will act in your body. And I had been with him before he tested positive. I will say he was only sick a couple of days.
Cathy

DrumMajor said...

Test daily, wear a mask in your house. Even if you "get it" and have a mild case, the person catching from you could be high risk, easily having a horrid case and die. The newest variant is supposed to be very contagious. The vaxes aren't eliminating the possibility of getting it, just hopefully, maybe, keeping you from being so sick that you need hospitalization. This virus is evil and sneaky. The vaxes for it are not like vaxes for other common diseases. I still don't let anyone in my apartment unless they have to be for maintenance, and require that they wear a mask. I wear a mask into any store. Covid hangs in the air for 3 hours. Do you want to walk through that air? An open window taking out the indoor air is best if you have to be indoors. A closed car is just asking for it. Keep checking with the doctor for possible meds to take if you get it. 58% of covid cases start with a simple sore throat. I'm more spooked about the long covid symptoms. Linda in Kansas

Plain Jane said...

Once you have been exposed, it may take 7 to 14 days for symptoms to show.
My daughter and I had COVID-19 in January, we are not vaccinated, my husband is vaccinated.
We self-isolated in separate rooms, and my husband didn't get near us for a week.
He never got COVID-19.

Tom said...

...not the news that we want to hear. My best to you and Dan.

1st Man said...

I don't really have any sage advice or wisdom, 2nd Man and I have managed to avoid it all this time. We're vaxxed and boosted...but we wonder if it will be inevitable. Just do what you are doing and stay well hydrated. Thinking of you both!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I suspect that moving into the spare room at this stage, after having had virtual continuous contact with Dan, is not going to be particularly effective. But the signs look good that he doesn't have COVID. Fingers crossed. I am curious as the repertoire of the choir - can you fill us in?

Anvilcloud said...

Just now as I was reading this, I got a message that my daughter had tested positive.

Cynthia said...

It’s so hard to avoid and no one (but us!) wears masks anywhere. We were exposed last week when we spent lots of time at my mom’s care home. We tested negative yesterday but the doctor told us we could be positive over the next seven days. I hope you both are lucky and don’t get sick.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Honestly, Marcia, I am unsure as to what I would do, most likely isolate from my husband as you have done. If he continues to test negative then hopefully he has not caught it. As someone else commented being up-to-date with your vaccinations, as you are, should help lessen any possible symptoms. Thankfully, we not been affected and hope this trend continues. Too bad the concert had to be cancelled.

Faith said...

I probably had it and NO symptoms until this bizarre congestion and headache that was CONSTANT every day for 3.5 months. TODAY was the first day since April 1st that i woke up with NO Congestion and NO headache. The headache is like a sinus one. BUT NOTHING TAKES IT AWAY. ENT said Allergies. Doc said infections. FOUR antibiotics later, no relief. Sinus scan. All normal. HEadache and congestion gone today. Either the Rx allergy med is stating to work on week 4 OR it WAS a covid headache all along. all 5 of my tests were negative.

Don't worry. I seriously think every American has either had it by now or will shortly.
thank the Lord for the vaccination!!