Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, October 6, 2018

New Hampshire Seacoast


We traveled in two cars to the Odiorne Point State Park on the New Hampshire coast.  Daughter Emily and granddaughters were coming with us for the day.  We stayed in the area for two nights.


It was a gorgeous blue sky day to explore the seashore.



The cove we walked around is known to have petrified stumps of trees from the last ice age. We got there as the tide was almost in so missed the petrified stumps.  Dan and I saw them the next evening at low tide but I didn't have the camera and it was getting dark fast.


Lots of rock cairns/towers populated this point.  Notice granddaughter L is barefoot.  She has tough feet.




As I look at these photos it may be that I captured some of the petrified wood and didn't know it at the time.


Some of the tidal pools were visible even at high tide. Emily is pointing out some critter to A.



The rock on the left above could be petrified wood.


We had lunch sitting on this rock wall with the Atlantic Ocean in front of us.




A light house across the cove.


This seagull thought it could get a handout - not from us.  The Seacoast Science Center is behind.  It was started in someone's summer house and has expanded.



We headed there after lunch.



Lots of hands on activities for children,



including a tidal pool - touching tank.






Then there were the aquariums.






One more stop along side the ocean before heading to our cars.


4 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Looks like a great place to 'explore' .... I hope to get to New England sometime. SO much beauty there --in that entire area.

I know you enjoyed being with your family......

Hugs,
Betsy
Can't believe that child was barefooted in that area!!!! Mercy Me!

Tom said...

...beautiful, but there is walking barefoot.

Fun60 said...

How your granddaughters have grown! Where does the time go? They look as though they were having a great time. You wouldn't catch me walking on that ground in bare feet.

Cynthia said...

What a beautiful rocky seacoast. We're so used to sandy beaches, this would be fun to explore. I bet the girls loved the science center and those touching pools.