Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Non-harvest Monday

I picked the volunteer cantaloupe this week because the cooler night temperatures had killed off the vine.  I knew it was still green but was hopeful it may ripen.  Sunday I noticed it seemed to be softening so I cut it in half and tasted it.


Not sweet. It was bitter so it went into the compost bucket.  I won't let any seeds grow in that compost bin next year.




All the green tomatoes I picked several weeks ago have been used except this one.  It seems slow to ripen.  I may have to use it green.

See what others are harvesting in October at Daphne's Dandelions.

5 comments:

HolleyGarden said...

Sorry your cantaloupe was bitter. But I love fried green tomatoes! Such a treat - and especially this late in the season!

Bee Girl said...

Oh man...sorry to hear about that cantaloupe! Bummer! That tomato holds a bit of final promise, though! Enjoy it!

Jenny Rottinger said...

Sorry to hear about the bitter cantaloupe :(

wilderness said...

Marcia, too bad about the melon. That tomato looks good and healthy. Give it time it will ripen. Some of mine are still very green that I picked quite a while ago.

Mary Hysong said...

Too bad about the melon; maybe because it was still too green? Ah but fried green tomatoes, now that is a treat!