Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Favorite - Joe Pye Weed



I love this native perennial especially at this time of year when it comes into its own with its blooms. The Joe Pye weed has a very prominent location atop the pond aka rain garden bank.  I've tried transplanting volunteers to other locations in the yard but unsuccessfully.  It must like having its root nice and damp.  Thankfully its blooms and height don't conflict with the weigla which is planted behind it.  Those springtime blossoms have their time to shine and then form a backdrop for Joe Pye.

 It becomes quite the butterfly and bee magnet.There are mid air fights, if you can call them that, between butterflies vying for the same spot.  Quite comical to see because there are more than enough blooms for them all.




It's pale blossoms are a nice contrast to the crepe myrtle across the driveway.



This year the Joe Pye is not standing as tall as in previous years.  

The derecho we had in late June took a toll and then once the blooms formed the weight of those has weighed down the stalks.  But I can't complain.  It's still a favorite on this Friday in August especially when viewed from the porch.









Linked to Our World Tuesday

2 comments:

jeanlivingsimple said...

Your Joe Pye Weed is looking great!
I have one and it is just beginning to show buds.

Thanks for your recent kind comments on my blog.

Unknown said...

Ours is finished now in the forest. I'm fond of it as it's an insect at- tractor. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.