Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Vegetable Garden and Harvests

I have an incredibly long to do list for all the gardens.  Long because I've been unable to tend them as they need it because of physical limitations on my part as I recovered from surgery and because of a major storm and then a heat wave. Today thankfully I was able to tackle the list as it pertained to the vegetable garden.  Here are the before and after photos followed by some of what's ripening in there and finishing up with the harvests we've enjoyed.

Before - weeds! and lettuces that have bolted!
 After - weeds lettuce out.  New lettuce seeded. 
Before - weeds! and tomatoes that need to be tied up!
 After - weeds gone and tomatoes tied to fence.
 What's ripening!  
Cucumbers! Almost time for refrigerator pickles.
Jalapenos!  Time for hot pepper jelly!
 First Goldie tomato!
 First unknown variety, a volunteer, tomato!
 Zucchini!  Got to stay on top of these veggies or I'll be looking for unlocked cars!
 Volunteer who knows what!  Is it ripe?
 Basil!  Time to freeze this for winter use.
 All the carrots were pulled today!
 Harvested for supper tonight!
 Beans!  Also for supper and some for tomorrow too.  More beans are flowering from the second planting and today I seeded a third batch.

 Some earlier harvests: lettuce, carrots, & peppers.  See other gardeners harvest at Daphne's Dandelions.






5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marcia, Your veggies look delicious---all of them.

Isn't it amazing how quickly the weeds can take over? They keep on growing no matter the weather!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Lisa said...

very very impressive! What bounty! What hard work!

Jenny Rottinger said...

Your garden is so beautiful! And such gorgeous carrots! I'm jealous of your first goldie tomatoe :)

and that melon looks very much like yellow watermellon (leafs at least) - let it grow until the stem dries up and then cut it.

Dan said...

Your garden looks lovely. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Mary Hysong said...

What a wonderful harvest and pretty garden! Everything looks great! Sounds like you are the high road to recovery!