Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Brussels Sprouts

Never again will I plant Brussels sprouts! I do like to eat them, but I'm the only one of the two of us who does. I planted them this spring for the very first time as a whim. They weren't in my garden plan, but I saw them as seedlings at the Southern States store and I thought why not. I didn't realize that they were major bug attractors and that they smelled. Also I was unaware of their size and that they grow from spring until late fall. How foolish of me.

I used metal supports and tied them up with hose but they still fell over into the paths.


Every time I walked past them I disturbed a cloud of tiny white flies.

I don't know what this sprout was doing, but its open and growing.

Yesterday was the day I removed them to the compost bin. I managed to pick off some sprouts though they are uneaten for now and resting in the refrigerator. I though Sarah would want some for dinner tonight but that's not to be. I had thought to give some away to a vegetarian friend but now I won't see her next week. Freeze them? Maybe, but how good will they be then?



Here's my harvest.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Brussels Sprouts really are a pain to grow. They take way to long to produce. You can grow short varieties though, some do grow very large. I am trying them for the third year, with the past two not being very good years. I'm guessing I won't grow them again if they don't produce well this fall.