Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, September 6, 2021

Hosta Seminar

 A couple of weeks ago I responded to a notice in our local email newsletter offering a free Hosta seminar from 9 am- 12 pm on Saturday the 4th.  The response I got was it was full. I sent my regrets and later that day got another email saying there had been a cancellation so I was in.

Jim, the gardener offering the seminar, has hundreds if not thousands of varieties of Hosta in his gardens.  He offered to tell us all he knows and send us home with some sample plants.

I learned a lot.


I made note of the plants that do well with Hosta: ferns of course, hens and chicks, sedum, primrose,astillbe, ligularia, lambs ear, heuchera, ginger (Canadian, European and upright) and painters palette.  There were more but I couldn't spell they names.


Most of his beds include a single plant of a Hosta variety except this one below.  I prefer to plant in groups of threes.


One plant he includes with Hosta is ligularia, one of which I have already, and thanks to Tom the Backroads Traveler, I could identify.  It's the yellow flowering plant in the next two photos.



Did you know that Hosta are edible?  Springtime growth is the best time to harvest.


I couldn't keep up with all the names of the Hosta but did note these: sun and substance, mouse ears, reptilian, and gold standard.


I came how with astilbe, ginger, and three Hosta plants.  I put them in the ground with the ferns I had transplanted earlier.  I plan to have two beds featuring Hosta and other shade loving plants under the evergreens along the south side of our property. This one below will be smaller.


This one will be larger and joining a bed by the fence.  Both fences we have will be coming down this Fall.


I plan to return to see Jim to make some purchases.  His prices beat anything around and he has such a variety to select from.



9 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Snails certainly know that Hostas are edible! Always good to know people like Jim as most garden centres seem to be run by people with only the scantiest knowledge of gardening.

Anvilcloud said...

We have a few here and there. The big one out back was a holdover from the previous occupant. It was uncared for and in a bad spot. I transplanted it and it has thrived. It is huge.

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun learning about hostas. I've never grown them, but they are here by my apartment...do well especially in the shady areas.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sounds interesting. Glad you could get in to the seminar. We have hostas in Utah where I live - and quite a few in our neighborhood. I love learning about plants. It will be fun for you to watch the plants you got grow and fill-in and create a beautiful space. Have a Happy Labor Day and a good week! See you again soon!

Tom said...

...I keep dividing my hostas. The next time you are in Buffalo, stop by and I will load you up with some!

Fun60 said...

The slugs devour them here so I haven't got them in my garden even though I would love to give them a home.

Vicki Lane said...

Sounds great! I love hostas and they do well here-- if the deer leave them alone.

Stewart M said...

Hi there - we have some Hostas in our garden as well, tucked under a tree in the back corner, with dappled shade. I love the shape and colours of their leaves.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

PS: sorry about long gap between comments, being locked down is not great for me!

Azka Kamil said...

Snails certainly know that Hostas are edible