Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Food Secrets

Another excursion from here at Vantage House.  This time to the American Visionary Arts Museum in Baltimore.  Their exhibits for the year revolve around food: the history, fantasy and future.

Notice the sign below the corners look like someone took a bite but they are that way because in Biblical tradition farmers were to leave the corners unharvested so that the poor could glean what was left there.


As you enter the sloping upward hallway on your left are old lunch boxes with postcards under them. Do you see the hands?  I didn't see them until I looked at my photos.



Someone in a local Maryland town passed out empty postcards asking people to write about their food secrets and then mail them back to him.  Here are a few of the submissions.












Which one is your favorite?  Do you have any food secrets?  One that I can think of involves in-laws.  My sister in law would not tell her husband the ingredients in a favorite potato casserole because he detests one of the key ingredients.  He loved the dish without knowing there was sour cream in it.

More to come from this fantastic art museum in future posts.

5 comments:

Gosia said...

Marcia my favourite with dog Have a nice Sunday

Kay said...

I like the pizza one best. I didn't notice the hands either. Oh my!

Linda said...

Hi Marcia, I love everything here, and the old lunch boxes brings back some great childhood memories. Great post and photos. You have a lovely blog. :)

Tom said...

WOW, lunch boxes are a great collectible. The thermos is the hard item to find.

Fun60 said...

How can you choose? They are all so funny.