Here at Vantage House, our continuing care retirement community, there are lots of activities to keep our minds sharp. We have a wide variety of regular exercise classes. I attend muscle toning three days a week and book camp two days a week. Dan goes to the latter and agrees it is quite a workout.
There are speakers that come on various topics to keep us informed and aware. This week it was Mel Goodman, a monthly regular, who talks about the political scene from his perspective as a retiree from CIA, State and Defense Departments. Next week there's an expert on the court system to talk about the Supreme Court. There are Brainy movies, Great Decision discussions, twice weekly trivia gatherings, as well as a wide assortment of musical performers. More events going on then we can even get to.
Once a week Dan and I attend "Enhance Your Thinking" led by a retired community college professor who lives here. I thought I would share with you some of the critical thinking questions we work on individually and then compare answers and thinking with a partner. We then discuss all the answers as a group. It's a great exercise.
I will give the answers in another post but if you want hints, put that in your comment.
1. There are 3 separate, equal-sized boxes, and inside each box there are 2 separate small boxes. Inside each of the small boxes there are 4 even smaller boxes. How many boxes are there altogether?
2. Do they have a 4th of July in England?
3. When does 8 plus 5 equal 1? Come up with several answers.
4. If you had only one match and entered a room in which there was a kerosene lamp, and oil heater, and a wood burning stove, what would you light first? Why?
5. Seven months have 31 days. How many months have 28 days?
6. A man builds a house with 4 sides to it and it is rectangular in shape. Each side has a southern exposure. A big bear comes wandering by. What color is the bear?
7. A snail is climbing out of a well. The well is 10 feet deep. Every day the snail climbs up three feet and every night he slips back two. How many days will it take him to get out of the well?
8. Explain how you can change a dollar bill into exactly 50 coins which when added together will equal a dollar. There may be more than answer.
Good luck! Let me know how you do.