Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Not Again! Grr!


Yes, the raccoons were back overnight.  Three nights in a row!  Is it the heat? The pot above has been attacked all three times.


I've taken a new tactic.  This one got repotted into the bigger pot and moved to the screen porch.


I have two pots of cacti and they did minimal damage to this one.  Maybe it was the spines.  I've left them out on the deck for now.




This pot they emptied so I've given up on two of these pots.  I moved the plants to an open bed in the vegetable garden.


The pot on the end above I moved to the porch.


This pot on the pond deck is too big to move so I repotted it and will have to try a mixture of cinnamon and ground pepper as well as a product someone recommended in a comment called Repels All.


Both planters under the swing were taken apart and I've replanted.  Next time?  I hope there won't be a next time.


This pot hadn't been touched before but its replanted and moved out of reach.


My amaryllis bulb was dumped and nibbled upon.  I put it in the garage for now.

Pots are now lining the edge of the screen porch.



And the deck is almost bare of pots.


I hope I can report good news tomorrow.

6 comments:

1st Man said...

Dang, it's almost like they are looking for something, ha. I hope your tactics work!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Why don't you get a trap and trap that raccoon??? We caught one once in a trap and took him far into the woods --WAY far away from our home.....

Hope tonight is better....
Hugs,
Betsy

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Oh my goodness! Hope the critters mind their own business tonight! Good luck!

Marcia said...

I'm thinking the fish emulsion fertilizer may have been an attraction!

Marcia said...

No trap. I live in the woods and its to be expected. I moved into their habitat not the other way around. Thanks for your concern.

Marcia said...

Thursday night - no critters. I did mix two parts ground pepper, one part each chili powder, cinnamon and cayenne pepper and sprinkled it on the soil of the pots last night. I think when I water again today I'll do it again. I think they'll get the message with their noses.