Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

The Day After

 My attempts at capturing eclipse photos were a bust.

I thought putting out a colander would result in crescents as the moon covered the sun.

It didn't happen for me.  Daughter Sarah thought that the light cloud cover we were having may have played a role in foiling that effort.

It did get dark, but since we didn't have full totality, it was not the dark that Emily and family experienced in Quebec where they went for a mini vacation and eclipse watch.

First bust was trying capture the darkening. There are time stamps on these four photos but I don't see much difference in the light starting at 2:09 and ending at 3:26.





But it did darken!

The other bust was this colander. No crescents!


I did take this photo without looking but because even though the moon covered more than half the sun at this point it appears as a round ball.


So here are other photos.

First, son in law's set up for viewing in Quebec.


At totality


In Buffalo son in law outside with granddaughter #3 & #4 at totality.  They had cloud cover but darkness still fell.


Granddaughter #3 made eclipse cookies.



So here are some scenes from the cabin rental in Quebec.

First they had to hike a mile to the cabin with their stuff!  Maple the dog got to go on this trip.  Of course with the big snow storm Wed-Fri there was snow!


The cabin has a climbing wall!
Granddaughter #1 is demonstrating.



It also has a hamster wheel to help generate electricity. 
Granddaughter #2 demonstrates.


And sunrise from the deck this morning.





6 comments:

Tom said...

...you saw more than we did!

Vicki Lane said...

Your experience was much like ours. I love the eclipse cookies!

Anvilcloud said...

When you said colander I pictured metal, and then you said foiled, and I thought that they sort of belonged together. Nevermind, I am not being clear, mostly bc I am not clear on the connection that I see. 😁

Faith said...

at 3:27 it was total darkness in Schroon Lake NY so the eclipse hadn't even happened for you folks in NH yet! We got some great shots thanks to my oldest girl using a special lens for solar eclipses for iphone cameras. I'll post some on my blog this week!!

Your grands look like they're having fun! WOW...snow!!! It was 60 in Schroon and just beautiful. today is 72 here in the Albany area.
i'm so glad it was a gorgeous day

Kay said...

I learned while using the paperboard with holes punched out that you had to hold the paperboard pretty far from the wall to get that shadow effect. I learned that first when I did it with just the paper and hole puncher. If I had the paper with holes too close to the white paper on which to cast the shadows you couldn't see the patterns. There was a lot of trial and error.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We watched the eclipse in Nashua, NH, but there wasn't totality at all. I did not try to use my phone or a camera to capture any photos, so the meory will have to do. Your family members certainly had some adventures and the cookies looked great!