Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, June 5, 2023

Halifax Citadel

 

Our trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia included a tour of the Citadel which sits on a hilltop overlooking the city.

[From the brochure]

"First constructed on the shores of the harbour in 1749 as a strategic base for the Royal British Navy, Halifax has been home to four Citadels, all constructed on the high ground above the original town plot. 

 

The first three forts were built of earth and logs and served through the Seven Years War, the American Revolution, Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812, but after 1815, British authorities decided the the old wooden forts defending Canada's strategic strong points, including the Citadel, should be replaced by more powerful and permanent works of stone.

Construction of a new Citadel began in 1828 and continued until 1856.

Thought the Citadel was never attacked, as a military deterrent, it was a success.


In 1867, British North America became the Dominion of Canada, but the continuing importance of Halifax as a port for the Royal Navy saw British troops remain here until 1906.  After that the Citadel was occupied by the Canadian military and remained active through World Wars until 1951, when it was transferred from the Department of National Defence to Parks Canada."


The re-enactors were dressed as though it was 1869.  Most were students doing internships from the local college. Our guide, seen above dressed in a kilt, was from England, attending school in Halifax.  He was tailed during his tour by an instructor grading him.  I asked countless questions as I'm wont to do, and he answered them very well.



8 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Very interesting. Looks like great weather when you were there.
Cathy

Tom said...

...the re-enactors are a wonderful added touch.

Anvilcloud said...

I didn't know about The Citadel.

Barbara Rogers said...

So they finally built a stone fort, and no more fighting! Well done! I do hope it never sees any action again. And it's certainly an interesting place to visit and learn about how forts are/were run. Glad there are reenactors also!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

An interesting visit. Halifax is a place I remember being mentioned often during my childhood, though I can't remember if my aunt used to live there before moving to Cape Breton Island or if it was just a place my grandmother had to travel to in order to visit.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love history, so would love to visit this place. Thanks for telling us about it!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Even though I have made several visits to Halifax I have never toured the Citadel. My loss, obviously.

stardust said...

It’s nice that the stone fort has never been attacked and no fighting. Hope it becomes a citadel of peace forever. Thanks for the history.
Yoko