Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Gadsby's Tavern

Friday, July 14th Dan and I took a break from the regular day routines to be tourists in Alexandria, Va.

Here is one of the spots we stopped by to see.


It's a self guided tour and being a very hot day we went up the stairs to the third floor dormer level - top floor on the left side below - to start our tour.


There are two bedchambers there which were let to guests.


The bed above would have slept three people the signage said.



The second chamber had three beds.


The wooden device on this bed was to tighten the cords so the bed ticking wouldn't sag.


To the question "Which cost more: a meal or bed?"





This bed had no frame.


Down on the second level was the Assembly Room.




Here are the stairs down from the bedchambers above.



 The tavern had a ballroom - here filled with an art exhibit.




Notice where the musicians sit, above the ballroom floor.






Here's a portrait of John Gadsby who propelled the tavern to fame.


On the first floor was this private eating room and


the public one. The tavern is still a restaurant but we didn't venture to that side.


We did pause to play three games with this board.  Dan one best 2 out of 3.


The Gadsby Tavern at 134 North Royal Street is owned and operated by the City of Alexandria.

Joining Through My Lens and Tuesday Treasures


4 comments:

Kay said...

Wow! Three to a bed? How did they ever turn when they're sleeping. And bedbugs? Yuuuck!

Tom said...

...how neat, Marcia! I'm big on little sayings from the past...'sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite.' Of course young people and some older folks don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Several years ago I bought a number board game like the one you show for my grandkids, imagine having fun without batteries. Thanks so much for sharing this historical treasure. I hope that we can do this again.

A Colorful World said...

Oh I just love this post! One of my favorite things is to visit historic houses (and taverns!) and see how they lived in the day...I do a lot of reading, and I've researched this period a lot too. Used to work as an historic interpreter at two houses in Norfolk, Va. So, thanks for a real treat!

betty-NZ said...

What a fabulous place to visit! I love the history of the place. Thanks so much for the post.