Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Mallory - Neely House in Memphis

Memphis, Tennessee has an area called Victorian Village where homes and churches from that era have been preserved.

It was a snowy day in January when we visited, but we were fortunate to arrive in time for the last tour - a private tour at that.

Below is the Adams- Woodruff - Fonatine House (c. 1871).  It was also a museum but we didn't think it was open.


Not sure what this one below was called.


Below is the Adams-Mollie-Fontaine-Taylor House (c. 1886).  It's now a restaurant.


This is the Mallory-Neely House (c. 1852).  Now a museum.  I didn't get the whole roof because I think I was afraid of the ice I was standing on as I took the photo.


Here's one from the internet.


The inside was lovely but in some places incredibly dark.











A lot of money went into the construction of this house as you can see from the special trimmings and moldings.  I'm not remembering all the backstory of the ownership but I know that the last family owner lived a very long time and had few heirs.  Refreshing my memory with Wikipedia, she deeded the house to the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).




The last owner, Daisy is pictured in the painting there on the right.





It is worth the trip if you are in Memphis.


13 comments:

Elaine said...

Magnificent, imposing, houses! I feel as though I have been privileged and had a private tour myself. Those ceiling decorations and cornices are quite something.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I love the inside and those stain glass windows are gorgeous.

Gosia said...

Great place thanks for sharing

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Great shots of the homes - I love Victorian homes and stained glass

carol l mckenna said...

What a tour you had or a beautiful Victorian ~ lovely photos ~ thanks,

Wishing you a Lovely Week ahead ~ ^_^

Jim said...

Great shots of history.

Lady Fi said...

Amazing architecture!

doodles n daydreams said...

A wonderful old house. Isn't it great to be able to see how the rich lived in the old days?

Diana

Nancy Chan said...

An impressive house with beautiful designs and trimmings. An interesting place worth visiting. I am now following you and invite you to follow me too. Thank you and have a lovely day!

Tom said...

...Victorian styles of architecture are some of the best in history. The Adams Woodruff Fonatine House is an excellent example of the Second Empire style. If you had money after the Civil War, this was the style you wanted. Marcia, what a wonderful collection, I hope to see you back again soon.

Tanya Breese said...

wow, they are all so stately and beautiful...loved seeing the inside of the one and that ceiling is amazing!

Christine said...

Absolutely fascinating and just the kind of places I love to tour! Those homes are so ornate and beautifully preserved! Loved this post!

William Kendall said...

Splendid architecture!

We have a good deal of Victorian era homes here as well, some of which now serve as embassies or other functions.