Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Potted


I'd love to day these two (above and below) were my pots, but they aren't.  These were outside Arbor House, the gift shop, at the National Arboretum.  I photographed them because I've taken to planting succulents in pots lately.


Here are some of my pots this summer.


These next two aren't succulents but my attempt at growing better heuchera.

[Update: both these pots go munched on by deer on Thursday night late.  They made a meal on one hosta, day lilies, and sedum in the Glen and Perennial gardens.]

This has grass and sedums.


This one I'm most pleased with.  And the raccoon hasn't dug it up this year!




These last are little dish gardens.  Not too unlike this dish garden (above) at the Bonsai exhibit.






4 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

When I first saw your post I thought you were talking about this place - http://bitaboutbritain.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/national-memorial-arboretum.html in the UK - then I realised it was the one in Washington. Much more an arboretum than a memorial! Looks amazing. Something keeps eating our heucheras - and it isn't slugs (or raccoons)!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

OK I am going to pick a favourite and it is number 7. Makes me want to havea go.

Dawn Y. said...

Your pots are looking so nice, Marcia! I love the ways that colorful containers spotlight smaller plants that might be 'lost' in the garden. You can enjoy the succulents inside when winter comes. For several years, I have grown hosta in large pots. They look great, produce lovely blooms, and then winter over in our unheated garage! Hosta in containers are just perfect on our shady front porch, too. Wishing you a wonderful holiday weekend! ♡Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes

Tom said...

Want a lovely assortment. Tom The Backroads Traveller