Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Monday Morning Walk Plus

I have resolved to walk at least a half an hour each morning to build up my endurance after the hip issues I've had. Cortisone shots to both hips to deal with bursitis has helped  though one side effect was a stiff neck for more than a day.  

There's a nice walk on my road.

Here's the view heading back home.


This farm was once an active place but since it was purchased by some wealthy folks it has been stripped. One day recently large trucks were carting off the baled hay and silage.  I hope it was at least sold to other farmers.


Across the street was this barn where goats were milked and there was a farm store on Saturday where I'd buy eggs and meat.


View of the mountains. The lot in front once had a house on it but the owner who is also our lawn care guy was given an offer he couldn't refuse by those same wealthy folks.  The house was torn down.


Back home.


I wrote last week about the spring cleanup crew that was coming.  Here are the eight 6th & 7th graders plus one little brother, and 3 of the 5 parents who were here.  They said they had a great time and I was impressed with their work ethic


The new front bed expansion had the grass removed and new plants placed plus mulching.


This garden had all the leaves removed.


Lots of weeds and grass pulled from beds and a general tidying was done.

Here are some daffodils I didn't plant.


I think this blooming daffodil came from Vicki Lane.


All the dandelions and grass were pulled from here where the peony are getting taller and more varieties of daffodils should soon be opening.


So finally a question.  What to do with this poor excuse for a forsythia bush? I'm thinking that after it finishes blooming I will really cut it back.  Hopefully new growth next year will result in blooms.


 

8 comments:

Tom said...

...cut it to the ground and let nature regenerate it.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Better listen to Tom; he’s the nurseryman.

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad to see your work crew, and the results of their efforts. Your house and garden look lovely. Also kudos for your morning walks. I am a happy senior too with improved health, just by going out and taking walks. Nature has such wonderful fresh air and sunshine (and rain). Thanks for photos of the area around your walks.

Vicki Lane said...

What a great job they did! And I'm so glad to see one of the daffs I sent you is blooming! You can cut the forsythia back quite a bit and it will revive.

Anvilcloud said...

Some improvements (by the rich folk) are not improvements for the rest of us.

You had good help, and they seem to have accomplished quite a bit although kids often do not work nearly as hard as they think they are working. 🤔

doodles n daydreams said...

What a good job your work crew did, it's all looking great. I enjoyed the walk, a shame about the farm, I wonder what is going in there?

Fun60 said...

The work crew did a really good job. I'm sure your forsythia will benefit from a good pruning. (There are 272 underground stations and I have visited 193!)

Stewart M said...

Garden work always goes better and faster with a good crew!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne