Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, September 27, 2026

What's on My To Do List

 Thursday I had a package on the front porch that I didn't recognize. I opened it and lo and behold it was the 100 postcards I signed up to write a note on for Moms Rising.  All my 100 postcards are addressed to women in North Carolina.  I hope I can inspire them to vote.

I blanked out the names and addresses.

Anyone else get these in the mail?

*****

Here are some scenes from the yard.

First up this little butterfly. Anyone know what kind it is?


Lots of tasks awaiting me in the garden beds. Such as cutting back the peonies.


Here are the Shasta daisies running amok.  I managed to find the white iris from Vicki Lane and move it but the whole bed of daisies needs a major clean out.  I put in a call to Garden Club members to see if anyone wants some and got three "yes" responses so far.  I did move some to behind the compost bin where they can grow to their heart's desire forming a screen for the new library.


We were to get frost this past week but got fog each morning instead.  So I still have lovely red dahlias.


Once the frost does hit, I'll dig up these tubers, wrap them in newspapers and put them in the cellar for the winter.


The pink sedum is lovely this year.  Another reason to thin the daisies.


*****

Even as I post this last shot of the hill behind us I realize it doesn't look like this anymore. The colors are more pronounced since I took this picture last week.  


Even our maple is no longer half and half as shown below.


Today and tomorrow we will be getting the rain from the nor-easter off and on.  It's bringing the leaves down too.

12 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

I'm almost done with my 100 postcards.

Anvilcloud said...

After much rain earlier, it is dry here now. I am thinking I will have to water the remains of the garden unless we do get some rain, which is possible according to the weatherfolk.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your butterfly is an American Lady - as are you.

Miss Merry said...

I signed up for these postcards but haven't received mine yet. I hope they come soon!

Barbara Rogers said...

We've a few days ahead of rain which already started. The fall leaves keep on turning and dropping though. So glad to see the last of your dahlias...such vibrant colors from summertime!

Miss Merry said...

Thanks for the email address - I will check on my postcards!

Tom said...

...like David said, it's a Painted Lady Butterfly (Vanessa cardui)

Granny Sue said...

I hope the nor'easter doesnt cause much trouble where you are. It sounds pretty bad.
Lovely photos today!

DeniseinVA said...

Well done on those postcards Marcia. And your flowers are beautiful!

Diana said...

What a lovely mix of everyday tasks and beautiful autumn scenes! And those dahlias are gorgeous—hopefully the frost stays away a little longer.

Marisa Alonso Santamaría said...

Hola, Marcia.
La fotografía de la mariposa es preciosa. David contesta a tu pregunta.
Te invito también a visitar mi espacio.
Un abrazo.

Kay said...

Good for you with those postcards. I hope everybody will go out and vote. It's more important today than ever.