Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Big Baking Blunder

 Have you ever had one?

Sunday for a family dinner I made a Huguenot Torte from Stephen Colbert's cookbook, "Does This Taste Funny?"  I had made this once before after having it at the Cookbook Club dinner in the spring.

The recipe calls for one large granny smith apple but I had three small pears just ripe that I decided to substitute for the apple.  I sliced them up and placed them in a large but not my extra large pie plate.  Now the recipe says to use a 9" x 12" casserole. Somehow in my head I figured the torte was going to be smaller with the pears.  First mistake.

I beat the 4 eggs, added the sugar, chopped almonds, almond extract, the the flour, salt and the baking powder.  Quite a bit of the latter is called for.  I think you can see where this is going.

I poured the mixture over the pears and it immediately it started going over the sides of the pie plate.  I attempted to scoop some off but my second mistake was not dumping the whole thing into a bigger casserole. Instead I placed my larger pie plate under it so it nested.

Into the oven it went.  I placed sheets of foil on the shelf under the torte and could hear it plunking there as it heated up.

Close to the time to pull it out, I pulled out the foil because I didn't want the mounds of overflow to burn. I put another sheet of foil under it.  More came off.  I tasted one of the mounds and it was delicious. Dan thought so too.

When the torte was done the overflow ran down the outside of the pie plate.

I served it with whipped cream and all agreed it was delicious. Next time I'll use my large casserole dish!




What was your baking blunder?












5 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

It sounds delicious! Clever of you to remember the foil.

Anvilcloud said...

It's all in the taste.

Vicki Lane said...

This is hilarious. At least it tasted good. We had a similar incident years ago when my sister-in-law and I were making brownies and someone misread 2 tsp baking powder as 2 TB. A chocolate volcano in the oven!

Miss Merry said...

I think the solution is a large serving of ice cream on top! I am famous for underestimating the size of pan needed for anything.

Lorrie said...

It sounds delicious! Once when I was teaching Home Ec a group of students said their muffins tasted awful. They had put in 1/2 cup of SALT instead of sugar! We threw them away. Not even whipped cream could salvage that!